Georgia Class Action LawyerRequest Free Consultation
Class-action lawsuits provide legal relief and justice to a group of people who were wronged in a similar way or by the same person or organization. They do this by allowing a group of people to file a single lawsuit against the corporation that harmed them – which can cut costs for the plaintiffs while also making the legal process less lengthy.
However, if you are not familiar with the process, it can be daunting. If you are considering joining an already existing class-action lawsuit or want to learn more about how to start one, contact an experienced class-action lawyer at Peak Wooten McDaniel & Colwell LLP. We can discuss your case and answer any questions you may have during a free case consultation.
How Does a Class-Action Lawsuit Work?
A class-action allows one or more plaintiffs to file and prosecute a lawsuit on behalf of a larger group, or “class.” A class-action lawsuit combines multiple lawsuits into one – simplifying the legal process. This means that a group of people who have been injured in a similar way can collectively seek compensation for their losses.
Benefits of a Class-Action Lawsuit
A class-action lawsuit allows those who wouldn’t have been able to file a traditional lawsuit due to financial costs the opportunity to seek compensation. Overall, it is:
- Less Expensive: Because all of the plaintiffs are splitting costs between them, a class-action lawsuit is more affordable.
- More Efficient: It also makes the legal process more efficient – since there is only one lawsuit against the defendant instead of multiple individual lawsuits.
- More of an Opportunity to Receive Compensation: This gives victims the chance to receive compensation at the same time and in proportion to their losses.
Filing a Class-Action Lawsuit: How an Attorney Can Help
A class-action lawsuit can start with one person or a small group of people through a legal document called the class action complaint. But before you take any steps, it is important to speak with a class-action attorney. Here are some ways a class-action lawsuit attorney will assist you:
- A class-action lawsuit attorney will evaluate your case and help you determine whether or not you can file a class-action lawsuit and what the step-by-step process for that looks like. Your lawyer will also figure out how many other people have been harmed in a similar way, whether a lawsuit with the same allegations has already been filed, and what the time limit for filing the claim is.
- After you both decide that a class-action lawsuit is the best legal path for you, your attorney will draft a complaint with the facts of the case and the types of compensation you are trying to recover from the lawsuit, which can include pain and suffering, medical expenses, as well as any other losses you have suffered as a result of your injuries.
- A class-action lawsuit isn’t official until a judge issues the class certification ruling. Your specialized class-action lawsuit attorney will know what the class-action requirements are and how to satisfy them.
- Your class-action lawsuit attorney will investigate your case, gather the necessary evidence to support your case, and help you fight for the compensation you deserve, whether it is through a settlement or a jury verdict. Many cases settle before going to court; however, our legal team consists of experienced trial attorneys who are prepared to take your case to court and maximize your recovery.
Contact a Class-Action Lawsuit Attorney Today
Contact a class-action lawsuit attorney at Peak Wooten McDaniel & Colwell LLP to learn more about your best legal options. Call (833) 644-1899 to speak to our Georgia personal injury attorneys and schedule a confidential case consultation today – no risk, no cost.